Sunday, November 1, 2009

I am back home




I had a wonderful time up in Northern CA. Besides getting my daughter married, I was able to see some wonderful friends. I stayed with my brother Rich and his wife Bonnie and they were great hosts and tireless wedding planners. We had a bit of drama the day of the wedding. I got a call from Amy the morning of her wedding saying that she had been up all night with vomiting and diarrhea. By 9:30 that morning she still couldn't get out of the bathroom (wedding was at 2:00). Rich immediately called the pharmacy to find out what over the counter medicine we could use. I have the best anti-nausea/vomiting meds on the planet (unfortunately the were all in SD). When I got to Amy's house she was so sick and was crying because we were going to have to cancel the wedding. I knew if we could stop her vomiting and if she could get a few hours sleep we might be able to go forward with the wedding. I called Grandma Jo and asked that she and the family start praying for Amy. Luckily Amy had some really good girlfriends and they came over with a van to pack things up. Then Rich, Bonnie and I packed the rest of the stuff in two cars and drove the wedding/reception place which was a 45 minute drive from San Jose. Derek was driving up that day from San Diego and he was meeting us at the reception area to help us set up. As you all know, this was a "do it yourself" wedding and Amy had made all the plans. We all were depending upon having Amy there to direct us. So with no Amy we all did our best to set up tables, chairs, arrange flowers and generally decorate the place. The guests started rolling in at 2:00 and there was still no bride or no groom. At this point, I wasn't sure if we were going to have a wedding or just a big party. Finally at 2:30 she finally answered her cell phone and she was and Ray were 10 minutes from the wedding/reception place. I told all the friends and family that the bride was on her way to gather down by the pond where the wedding was taking place. Once the bride and groom got there, everything went as planned. I was so completely exhausted and drained by that time I was really not much help. Derek, my Dad, Barbara, Rich, Bonnie and my son Rich and {Ginny, Emily, Nenna and Margarite} worked so hard to make sure the wedding went well for Amy and Ray. They were all tireless workers and I don't know what I would have done without them. I have posted a few of the wedding pictures. I still need to get the other pictures off of Derek's camera, More to come....

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Amy had the perfect wedding in the end. She planned so much on her own and took on a great challenge. In the end her family was able to carry her and give their all when she really needed it. When she saw everything in place and ready... that was probably the best gift she could have received from her family and friends who came together to support her. Sounds loving, amazing, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessss! Finally pictures!!!!!!!! So beautiful!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, I looked at the wonderful photos first, had no idea Amy had been ill that day. Amy and Ray were beautiful! I'm so glad she and Ray had a lovely wedding after all. Tell Amy I had a similar mishap before my wedding - my neck and back went out from moving chairs and I thought I would have to do the whole ceremony laying down on the ground. When I went to urgent care that morning they asked what my emergency was, and I said "I'm getting married today." (A line I'll never forget, and they probably won't either!) Got a prescription that made it all work out.

    ReplyDelete