Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday: feeling better

I am feeling much better today. I have been sleeping 24/7 for the last 4 days. Today it seems like I am all "sleeped out" and have been awake since 10:30 this morning. I would say that the second round of chemo went better than the first round. The main reason was I didn't have to deal with a bowel obstruction/hospital stay. I also think being further away from surgery for my breast cancer and gall bladder seemed to make for a less painful experience. The oncologists at Scripps have discovered that if a patient takes Claritan while they are getting White Blood Cell stimulating shots they will not experience any bone pain. Last time I had really severe bone pain from those shots. Taking the Claritan Tablets has reduced the bone pain by an order of magnitude which make this so much easier.

PLUS....my daughter had told me about a mattress topper you could buy for your bed to eliminated hard spots. I had bought a very expensive mattress 9 years ago but the last few years it was causing huge pressure points. The joint ache and bone pain from the chemo made it really difficult to get comfortable. I ordered the 4 inch memory foam topper and put it on our bed before I went through round II. I can't believe what a difference it has made. I never get sore even though I am in bed most of the day.

Thanks for the tip Amy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great! So glad you are feeling better. Claritin huh? Probably has to do with histamine response?? Very interesting. By the way, your hair looks fantastic!!!
    Now, I want to know where you got this mattress topper too- can you let me know...maybe it'll help my back situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom swears by those mattress toppers, too...for the same reason...helps avoid joint/bone pain and the need to keep turning over to keep from getting sore...so glad that you found a solution...yea Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete