Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Mom's hat


My chemo today went very well compared to last time. No bowel obstructions and no hospital admit!! I am hungry as a horse and trying to control myself as I want to eat constantly. And I had gained 4 pounds in 3 weeks. I think it it is the daily Venti strawberries and creme frapacinos from Starbucks. How many calories do those puppies have anyway???

So to get back on track with the story. I made a mistake and bought only one head cover to wear at night. I didn't realize that your head would be FREAKIN cold at 5:00 AM after being exposed all night. I knew that my Mother in Law (Polly) had made me a hat the first cancer treatment with the expectation that I would loose my hair. As you all now know, it takes 3 separate chemo treatment to make my "UBER" hair (Andrea's words) fall out. Derk and I tore our bedroom apart looking for Polly's crocheted hat. Which I found....Thanks Polly!! In the same bag was a soft wool hat of my Moms. For those that don't know, my Mom was 5 feet 2 inch and 107 pounds soaking wet, so it goes without saying that I never could share clothes with her. Right before my Mom died, we went to Stanford Hospital for a second opinion on her condition. Even though my Mom was ill, she looked so cute that day. It was late fall and she wore a pumpkin colored boiled wool jacket, a grey vest and a soft very cute grey wool hat. Even though it was a serious appointment, it was a day I will always remember. After my Mother's death, my brother, sister in law and I went to clean my Mother's things out of her house. I came across the hat and vest and took them home. I had tried them both on many times but they were hopelessly too small. Tonight I put my Mom's hat on and guess what.....IT FIT!!! It fit like it was made for me. I guess I just needed to be bald. I am writing this wearing my Mom's awesome grey hat. It makes me feel like my Mom is with me.

Love you and miss you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment