Sunday, August 16, 2009

Checking back in

I just realized it had been almost a week since I last posted. I don't have much to report. I started radiation treatment last Monday and have had 5 days of radiation. I have 5 weeks or 25 more days treatments before I am done. I have already been experiencing discomfort but nothing I can't deal with. I have good days and bad days. I was able to drive out to Show Park this week to spend an hour or so at a horse show. I can't believe how weak I am and how quickly I get tired. I haven't lost any weight during this bout of cancer. As a matter of fact, I have been noticing that my clothes are getting a little tight. I am very anxious to get the port removed from my chest that they installed for the chemotherapy. It is itching and burning and causes pain. I will speak with Dr. Hodgins on Tue. to see if I can schedule the removal. I am not sure if they will do that procedure while I am undergoing radiation but it is driving me crazy and I worry about infection.

My friend Andrea sent me 2 really good books for my birthday. One is Elizabeth Edward's book "Resilience". This book really spoke to me as a cancer survivor. It is not salacious at all....but the story of a woman's battle with loss: loss of a son, loss of her health and loss of trust in her life partner. The other book is "The Survivor's Club" This book is so fascinating. It has nothing to do with cancer but is all about why certain people are able to survive extreme situations, like airplane crashes, bizare accidents, suicides....etc. It goes into personality traits, religious beliefs and why some people are lucky. I highly recommend this book.

3 comments:

  1. We were so happy to see you at Showpark! Monique, of course, was the most thrilled.. :) All of the girls said that she had the softest eyes, and the biggest smile why you were there... It is so neat to see my little "mini' me's" noticing things like this.. :) I have to buy these books! They sound so interesting!

    Love you Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my favorite picture of Mo and I from Del Mar.. Enjoy!

    [IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f295/Kimothy75/DSC09-1184JPGMotrot4.jpg[/IMG]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these books sound great...I might recommend one of them for my next book club choice when my turn comes around!

    ReplyDelete