Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dr. appointment today

I got out of bed and dressed myself for the first time in 3 weeks and set off to see Dr. Hyde my surgeon. I think the world of this doctor and he is the only one who believed I was having problems these last few years and didn't just dismiss me. I still was not clear on what he found and Derek and I were going to ask me before he did any exam. He told us that when he opened me up he found that my small bowel had herneated right before the opening to my ilelostomy stoma. He said the small bowel was pushing up into the stoma causing a blockage. He said the small bowel was very swollen and inflamed. It was so swollen that he couldn't sew it back to my large gut and had to remove my ileal secal valve and also decided to remove my appendix in case that should cause problems in the future. I asked why they hadn't seen this before. I wasn't clear on the answer but I think it had to get worse and worse before the problem would actually show up in an xray and CT Scan. He said he couldn't see the problem when revised the ileostomy the first 2 times. I guess it is just bad luck on my part.

He removed my stitches and commented on how well everything was healing. He told me I should stop taking so much pain med and I will try. I am still in a lot of pain. You all know I am not a big baby so I am going to try to reduce my pain meds gradually. I have been in enough pain the last 3 years. I know Derek is going to harass me about the pain meds but I will get off of them when I am ready. It has been an exhausting day. I am back in bed and am going to rest for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Bloody shame it took them that long to take you seriously. Seems like most of them just thought you were an overexcited hysterical female. Bloody doctors!

    ReplyDelete