Saturday, September 25, 2010

Back in hospital

I was admitted back into the hospital with severe stomach pain. The doctor did and xray and said my large bowel was very extended and swollen. I was admitted and put on pain killers and Xrayed this morning. My large bowel had returned to normal size and had started functioning again. Actually over functioning. The doctor and nurses said given the severity of my surgery it is not uncommon for patients to have to go back in the hospital because it takes awhile for the colon to remember it job. It is very tricky business getting the colon to function again after being dormant for almost 3 years. He also suggested that I need to stop taking all the pain killers I take. These cause the colon to shut down and that I need to not give it mixed messages. So I need to start weaning myself off the pain killers. I am glad to have an excuse to get off these drugs. They do keep you out of pain but I hate the side effects. I am scared of getting chronic pain again. This is all so difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Difficult and COMPLICATED! I don't know if you have developed a visualization/meditation practice, but this would be a good time as you try to manage the pain with much fewer meds...even some meditation/visualization CDs would be good...it definitely can't hurt and could make the process go a bit smoother...

    Hoping you get the go ahead to go home today!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete