Sunday, May 2, 2010

recovering just fine

My oral surgeon called me yesterday to see how I was doing. I said I was doing great. He said "Really?" "Aren't you in pain?" I replied that I was fine. He then proceeded to ask me a series if questions about swelling, bleeding, numbness...etc. I said again that I am doing fine. He almost seemed disappointed or at the very least mystified. He gave me his phone number is case anything changed. I thanked him for his call and concern and we hung up.

It occurred to me that my idea of pain and healthy people's idea of pain are probably very different. I have been through some truly excruciating painful and humiliating treatments and procedures. Perhaps my pain threshold has been raised by all of these experiences. I guess that is a good thing

3 comments:

  1. You are, in fact, nothing less then amazing to have gone through all of that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa Maggie!

    Don't let yourself fall into the same trap I did - be sure you're really keeping the pain under control, because it is very easy to say "Oh, that amount of pain is normal." But really, *no* pain should be normal.

    I left you vm, give me a call when you can.

    Love, Julie

    p.s. I don't seem to be able to leave a comment as anything but anonymous, even though it acts like it's connecting to my Wordpress ID. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad you it went this smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete