Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day "fun"

I was feeling pretty tired today but wanted to do something fun for Mother's Day with my doggy children. I decided to go on a short hike with the dogs. Wiley's idea of a good time is looking for dead stuff to either eat or roll in. Many times I have had to play tug of war with a rotting carcass trying to prevent her from eating it. I am always scanning the trails for snakes and dead things to make sure the dogs don't get involved. Wiley is feeling extra chipper now that she is on her Cushings Meds. I released her lead and she takes off like shot down a steep brush covered hill and into a canyon. I see her from a distance rolling around over and over on the ground. I knew she had found her dead thing. I was praying she would just roll in it and not eat it. Finally she comes running back up the mountain with a big smile on her face. Not only is she covered in rotting flesh but she is covered in small burrs the size of a the head of a pin. I held my nose and took her back down the trail and loaded (yes loaded) her into my SUV. I got her home and tried to figure out how to approach this problem. I can't bathe her until I get the burrs out of her coat. But the burrs are coated with decaying goey stuff. So I tried the "Furby", followed by a dog brush. Then Derek came out and started laughing at the situation. He suggested a shedding blade. He went to work trying to get as many burrs out of her coat as possible. Then I took over. Finally an hour later the dog was partially de-burred and bathed. There are still many burrs to pulled out but at least she doesn't smell bad.

......and I like hiking with my dogs why?????????

3 comments:

  1. Margaret, you made my day. Thanks for the laugh! BTW, Cats have different issues. Cosmo didn't come home last Friday and we spent all of Saturday worrying then most of Sunday looking for him and handing out flyers. Sunday evening he strolls in like nothing happened. Not even hungry. And he refuses to tell us where he spent the weekend! See you soon, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewwww.....but can you BELIEVE that you are out hiking?! No wonder you enjoy it!!!!! You've come a long way in the past 3 months, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Mother's Day was fun for your dog, anyway.

    ReplyDelete