Wednesday, March 31, 2010

fell off my horse today

I got a little too confident with my "new" gelding. I decided to join 2 friends for a short trail ride. I figured that Capote's testosterone level was non-existent since his gelding 6 weeks ago. I did question the fact that one of the horses was a mare but decided to just treat him like a gelding and not worry about it. BIG MISTAKE!!. We had not been on the trail but a few seconds when Capote decided to show off and stand on his hind legs. It happened so quickly. I made the mistake of pulling back on the reins rather than pulling his head to one side to get his front legs back on the ground. It felt like he was going to fall on top of me so I baled off the side and landed in some tall soft grass (thank you Lord). I quickly got up and caught him as he was face to face with the mare (better than his face to her butt as he might get "ideas"). I got back on and finished the trail ride. My two friends were really shook up as the last thing they wanted to see was for me to get hurt. I am sure my surgeon is going to think I am insane when I come limping into his office tomorrow and have to admit I fell off my horse.

2 comments:

  1. How scary! But you GOT BACK ON....that's our Maggie May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about this! But so glad you had a soft landing.

    ReplyDelete