Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Visit with my oncologist

Derek and i saw Banerjee today. He always starts our meetings by asking me to tell him what we should do next. At first I was put off by this way of interacting with patients, but now I like it because it makes me feel like I am in control of my treatment. I told him that it was time to schedule my PET scan as it had been 6 month since the last scan. SIDE BAR: THIS PET SCAN HAS TO DO WITH MONITORING THE RETURN OF THE ANAL CANCER IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BREAST CANCER TREATMENT THAT I AM CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH. BANERJEE HAS TOLD ME REPEATEDLY THAT HIS BIGGEST FEAR FOR MY HEALTH IS THE RETURN OF THE ANAL CANCER. .Banerjee then said, "lets discuss all the outcomes of the PET and what our plan would be for each outcome. What if the PET SCAN shows metastasis to your lung and or liver? Now I start to hold back tears because I wasn't even thinking of that as an outcome. Then he says what if the PET scan shows a local recurrence in your anus or rectum? Then I said to Banerjee, "Why do you always have to bring out the worse case scenarios. I said I don't want to talk about metastasis or other bad stuff. He looked at me and said, I disagree. I think you and I have to discuss all the possible outcomes of any step we take and make contingency plans. I said I don't like talking about the possibility of greater sickness when I am trying to only think about getting better. I am going to bring this up with my therapist tomorrow. Perhaps this is the best way to handle information.....I just want to bury my head in the sand and only think about having a healthy future.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, he really hasn't learned anything about how to treat you emotionally has he? Doctors like to have all their bases covered- they want a plan for any possible scenario and so they automatically think that that is what all patients want or need to hear. But not everyone is like that, obviously. He needs a bit more sensitivity training to really help drive home that you do not need him to share his contingency plans with you. I remember you had said last time that he was extremely blunt with his concerns. Apparently he hasn't learned. It does make me, however, as your friend, feel comfortable to know that he has a plan in place for every possible scenario- even if the possibilities are scary it is good to know you have a doctor who is looking out for them- even if they are rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different approaches entirely...me? I'm a 'think of the worst case scenario' gal so I can then take anything less than that as a blessing...always have been! Sorry his style isn't working for you...ugh!

    ReplyDelete