Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Appointment with Therapist

I think I might have mentioned that I have been referred by my oncologist to a psychotherapist that works with cancer patients. Today was the second time I saw her and I think she is going to be helpful. We talked about my feelings of hopelessness. My belief that everything I did the last two cancer diagnosis to "heal" myself seem completely meaningless and ineffective because I am once again sick. These things included prayer, guided imagery, hypnotherapy, acupuncture and support groups. She said that just because I got sick again doesn't mean these things have no value. She said there are 5 aspects to to dealing with cancer: social, mental, emotional, spiritual and physical. I told her I am having the most problem with the mental and the emotional aspects. She said there are tools I can use to help me re frame my mental thoughts. Here is a simplistic example, I am so disappointed and angry that I am not well enough to help my daughter plan and execute her wedding. In addition, I have not worked for several years so our financial situation is much more limited than normal. I have been focusing on what I can't do for my daughter as opposed to what I can do. She said each day I should think about one of these 5 areas and consciousely make a decision to create a happier/healthier environment. She says even though I don't have control over the outcome of this disease I create a meaningful hopeful life with cancer. She said it isn't "magic". A person just has to be willing to practice some different skills and ways of dealing with pain, anger and disappointment.

4 comments:

  1. This is really interesting Margaret. I hope these tips can help you cope with your emotions right now.. Its so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but remember that everyone is here cheering you on through this difficult journey. We are here for you, so just keep focusing on getting better. Everyday is a gift!

    I wrote this song several years ago for Steve and I. We had been struggling through some financial times, and sometimes it was difficult to see the point of our relationship. It seemed that we bickered about every little thing, and we really were just not seeing the gift in our relationship. The first verse is about how I found myself, and the second verse is about how I found Steve shortly after.. The rest is history... I hope you enjoy these lyrics.

    Love,
    Kim

    "Rise Above"
    Written by Kim Lenahan

    This road that I'm walkin'
    Is spread out in front of me
    My eyes are wide open
    Searching so softly
    No one can take it away
    And no one can blame me
    Cause this life that I'm livin', yeah
    Is the life for me, for me

    Chorus #1:
    So I ride this life like a wave
    With every twist and turn
    A new chapter in my life
    Taking me home
    To the paradise
    Back on the shore
    Finally, my two feet on the ground

    When I first saw you
    I new I had to meet you soon
    Stars all around me
    But somehow you out shined them all
    We were out in the water
    With the setting sun
    Everyone below us
    As we rise above, rise above

    Chorus #2:
    So we ride this life like a wave
    With every twist and turn
    A new chapter in our lives
    Taking us home
    To the paradise
    Back on the shore
    Finally, our four feet on the ground

    Bridge:
    Something tangible
    Something so real
    Something tangible
    Something so real
    As we rise up above
    Up on the hill......

    Chorus #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, you are inspiring! I think we all get caught up with the "can't" aspect of life, the negative we can not control. I know that I am guilty of letting the negative sway my emotions, decisions, days and interactions.

    A friend was recently helping me to understand how to not be upset/disappointed by the actions/reactions of people/friends, something I am not good at. He said, "lose your expectations for people, let them go. Search for the good in a person and focus on that and only that".

    After reading your entry I see his advice applies not only to my friendships but it also extends beyond that to ourselves, our days, moods, decisions, etc..

    Thank you for sharing this entry. You make me smile!!
    Thinking of you and many many prayers.
    :)
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy- we don't know each other but, thanks for that- I think that's great advice for everyone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, you continue to lead.

    Great song, Kim!

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete