Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Brain Scan today

I wasn't going to mention that I was having a brain scan. I like to try and be positive on my blog and didn't want to cause needless worry. Then I realized that part of the reason for this blog is to be honest and describe the realities of dealing with multiple bouts of cancer.

I had mentioned to my radiation oncologist that I was experiencing what I thought was a lot of cognitive dysfunction. I thought he would just say "that's normal and probably is caused by the chemo". But instead he said we had better do a brain scan right away to make sure that you don't have any brain involvement. The next day I told him that I didn't want to do a scan and that I was sick of being scanned. He said do you not want to do the scan because you don't want the information or because you are scared. I said because I am scared. So my brain scan was scheduled for this morning.

It involved having gadolinium (sp?) injected into your system. Then they put your head in a cage and then put your caged head and torso in a tube. It is quite unpleasant and claustrophobic. Luckily it only lasts for about 20 minutes. I should know the results before the weekend.

I am trying not to be too worried.

1 comment:

  1. Is it at all possible that all the pain meds you've been on could be causing cog problems? Are you still taking Lyrica? Everything is going to be okay, I am thinking of you and give me a call if you need me. Love, A

    ReplyDelete