Thursday, September 3, 2009

I don't have brain cancer

YEAH....no brain cancer!!! I was pretty sure I didn't have more cancer...but you never know. My scientist friend Ally called me today and she did some research on chemobrain. It is a real phenomena. She said the Mayo clinic had some good information and she was going to forward some scientific papers. She said the brain cells will regenerate. You can help that along by doing mental exercises like crossword puzzles, video games (YUCK) and other mind stimulating activities. I have felt to poorly lately that I can't even concentrate on reading. I think I will start playing the piano again. Before I got sick in 2007, I was taking weekly lessons and was playing some really difficult Chopin pieces. I haven't touched the piano in almost 2 years. I will start by sitting down at the piano for 10 minutes 3 times per day. That shouldn't be too taxing physically.

3 comments:

  1. I talked to Mike when he got home and he said that his company is starting to look at Chemo brain. Since his company is primarily based on neurogenesis as a cure for depression and they are founded on neurogenesis research he also thinks that activities that promote neurogenesis could help with your cognition!

    So glad your scans came up negative! Love you and talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news Margaret! Keep fighting that fight! ...Suduko, Crosswords, or some of the cool apps on the iPhone should keep you focused on challenging your self! Can't wait for the final chapter on this long saga!

    Get well damn it.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for setting a doable goal to start with! And, yes, chemo brain is REAL!

    ReplyDelete