Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Worried about Miss Wiley


Wiley just hasn't been right over the last 9 months or so. The last couple of times that I took her for a walk off leash, she would be so tired after a couple of runs that she would just lay down in the middle of the trail and not want to move. This is so unlike her as she used to run after bunnies and play with the coyotes when we would hike in the early morning.

I took her to the vet and after multiple tests and lots of money they think she has Cushing's disease. This has two causes; either a pituitary or an adrenal glad tumor. She goes to the vet on Friday for an 8 hour test that we hope will determine which of these scenarios are causing her problem. If it is a pituitary tumor then the treatment is daily drug therapy. If it is an adrenal glad tumor then we are talking major surgery and a dismal prognosis.

I am trying not to jump to a worst case scenario. I do know after what I have been through the last 2 years that I would not subject my beloved Wiley to a major surgery unless the outcome were to be guaranteed positive. I want to do what's best for her and not what is best for me.

I hope I won't have to make such a decision in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry about Wiles, I hope she is okay...she's such a sweet girl. Let me know how it turns out....

    ReplyDelete