Thursday, January 28, 2010

PET SCAN--Results mostly good

Derek and I were trying to be calm today as we waited in the oncologist waiting room. Dr. Banerjee invited us into his office. My first words were "What are the results?" He says I don't know....I haven't looked at the PET yet (ARGH!!). So he fussed with his computer for what felt like about 10 minutes before the scan came up. Derek said "just go the comments section so we can read the radiologists results!" Derek and I are standing over Banerjee's shoulder holding our breaths as we all 3 try and read the results and recommendations section of the PET Scan.

The good news is that the cancer has not spread to any parts of my body. However the Scan did pick several spots in my upper rectum. This is where the second recurrence appeared two years ago. These spots are in the zone of the radiation that in combination with chemo killed a very large tumor 2 years ago. Often recurrences appear outside the radiation zone, so I think this is a good sign. Soooooo....Derek and I ask "what's next????" Banerjee says that I need to go see the colorectal surgeon and have a multiple biopsies done on the various spots. Banerjee believes the spots will turn out to be nothing and he has been right in the past. I hate the thought of going through more rectal "indignities" but I think it will turn out to be nothing.

I am so grateful to all of you for your prayers and healing thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. So nice for you to have this scan behind you and now some concrete FOCUSED things to look at...and I love Dr. B's prediction that those spots are 'nothing'...so be it! Hope that you are feeling some relief with these results...and that you are feeling better physically every day!

    ReplyDelete