Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Love, Medicine and Miracles" by Bernie Siegel M.D.

This book was given to me by my Dear friend Jennifer B. over 5 years ago. For anyone who is sick or dealing with a sick person I highly recommend this book. Here is a paragraph about the characteristics of those people who survive serious illnesses (called exceptional patients):

They are generally successful at careers they like and remain employed during illness or return to work soon. They are receptive and creative but sometimes hostile, having strong egos and a sense of their own adequacy. They have a high degree of self-esteem and self-love. They are rarely docile. They retain control of their lives. They are intelligent, with a Strong sense of reality. They are self-reliant. Although concerned about their own welfare, they are also tolerant and concerned with others. They tend to be nonconformists with a permissive morality-they are unprejudiced, and they appreciate diversity among other people.

1 comment:

  1. Did I give you this book, Margaret? I really don't remember it, but it SOUNDS like something we would have talked about because you were always so complimentary of how I managed my 'little kidney thing'...the characteristics above describe you very well...unfortunately, these are things you have to come into an illness with, I think...it's not something you can 'work on'...what do you think? Perhaps the lesson is to work on self-esteem and self-love and self-reliance BEFORE something bad happens so you are well armed with the 'right stuff'!!!

    ReplyDelete